Yes. Tech week is upon us. Here are a couple of notes from me and Mr. Ankiel on how to get through a tech week like a pro:
From Mr. Ankiel- There are a lot of technical elements in this show that have to be integrated. The technicians have 3 days to learn what you have had almost nine weeks to learn. You need to be quiet, attentive, courteous and patient. The things determined and integrated in these rehearsals will have an effect with how you interact with them.
My notes: If you go in thinking tech week is going to be bad, it will be. It does not help anyone to come in with a negative attitude (don't forget negative speech clause in contract), especially when we have worked very hard to create a strong sense of ensemble and dedication. The things you say and your behavior under stress will leave a lasting effect on the show and the program. Negativity will only taint that feeling you created ( "We are Poppins!"). In addition, remember that the crew needs to be welcomed into that family as well, which is on you. Now just a couple of logistics:
1. No rehearsals are excused for tech week or performances. You have known about them since the start of the process and if you miss you are making the conscious choice to do so. (There is one exception you will see as you read further into the updates.
2. Call time is the time you need to be in the rehearsal space ready to go. Myself or guest artists should not have to quiet you and wait for you to get all your stuff together. If call is 2:30pm you need to be dressed, quiet, present, and attentive at that time.
3. Rehearsal time is not the time to sit and talk or play on your phone. I guarantee if you are not being used for something on stage, there is something else you could be doing that will enhance your performance in the show. 4. Only a few of you have brought shoe boxes with your name on them, if I do not have them by Friday you will not get costumes issued to you.
5. If you tanned for prom, it is your responsibility to get makeup that will make you more period presentable not mine. No makeup or hair items will be provided outside of wigs and statue makeup. You are responsible for your own hairspray, pins, and makeup (This applies to men too. If you plan to continue performing you will need your own basic makeup /hair kit).
6. No sharing drinks or eating off same piece of food. Your hygiene must be impeccable this week to stay healthy.
7. You cannot miss school and come to rehearsal. You have to be here at least half a day. Plus if you have more than one failing grade you cannot be in the show.
8. Rehearsals will be silent except for asking questions. If you cause a disruption you will be asked to leave, which could result in removal.
9. For my psyche, do not yell my name at me, or interrupt me to get my attention or ask a question. I actually find it quite rude when people do that and I am 5 feet away. Also as a director I am pulled in multiple directions during tech week and if you want my focus and attention you need to wait until I can give that to you. That means raising your hand and waiting. I need you to respect my artistic process and needs as much as I respect yours (and everyone else should do for you)
10. Plan snacks and water. You may store them in my office.
11. Starting at dress rehearsals ,cellphones will be locked up in theatre office. No exceptions!!!!
If we can do these things we should have a pretty smooth week.
Now to the schedule:
Monday April 25 2:30-6pm (honor grads released 15 min early for ceremony) 2:30-4:30 Scene thru Act 2 (Mrs. Ballard will be available for headshots during that time) 4:30pm -6pm Sing thru with band
Tuesday April 26th 2:30-4pm CTL scenes 5:00-8pm Tech Act 1
Wednesday April 27th 2:30-4pm TBD Act 2 scenes 5-8pm Tech Act 2
Thursday April 28th 2:30-4:30 pm Step in Time (pizza provided) 5-8pm Tech/TNT Run
Friday April 29th 2:30-3:45pm Fittings 4:00pm-7pm Run (no costumes)
Saturday April 30th 9 am -1 pm Run
Sunday May 1 2-6pm Fixing! (church will count as an excused absence)
Late but here it is:
Monday April 11th 2:30-5pm- Music TBD ALL CALLED & OFF BOOK DATE
Tuesday Aril 12th 2:30-6pm- Choreography TBD ALL CALLED
Wednesday April 13th 2:30-5pm- Music TBD ALL CALLED
Thursday April 14th 2:30-5pm- Choreography Step in Time
Friday April 15th 2:30-6pm- Blocking TBD ALL CALLED (except dance core)
Saturday April 16th 9am-1pm- Workcall and TBD rehearsal (no rehearsal excuses required if you cannot make it)
Mountain View Theatre: